Looking at smiling celebrities cuddling their children in glossy magazine photoshoots, it can seem like actors, actresses, singers, athletes and other famous people build beautiful families with no issues. It can be discouraging to think other groups of people are blessed with genes which allow them to bypass fertility challenges.
In reality, in the past few years, especially, celebrities have been very open about their struggles with fertility. Their stories have helped destigmatize infertility and have allowed women everywhere to discuss this topic more openly. These stories also highlight the fact that infertility is an issue which can affect couples at any time. No matter a couple’s age, income, status, lifestyle or other factors, they may need to embark on a long journey to have children.
Celebrities Struggling With Infertility
Some of the people in the public eye who have faced challenges with fertility include:
- Michelle Obama and Barack Obama: In her memoir, the First Lady wrote about her miscarriage and her challenges with starting her family. She eventually turned to in vitro fertilization (IVF) to have two daughters with her husband.
- Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness: The couple struggled to conceive and went through both IVF and multiple miscarriages. They eventually decided to adopt their son and daughter.
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West: The famous reality star and recording artist are proof each pregnancy is different and fertility challenges can happen at any time. The pair conceived their first child naturally but struggled to expand their family. They had their second child using IVF but elected for surrogacy for their third child.
- Celine Dion and René Angélil: The singer and her manager husband struggled to conceive for many years when René was first diagnosed with cancer. They had his sperm frozen before chemotherapy to keep their dream of starting a family alive. Eventually, the couple tried Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) treatments and Celine underwent surgery and IVF to have her first son. The couple then encountered additional problems and had to go through the IVF process six more times and suffered a miscarriage before finally successfully conceiving again. During the many rounds of IVF, Celine used acupuncture as well to increase her chances of conceiving.
- Jimmy Fallon and Nancy Juvonen: The late-night host and his film producer wife struggled to conceive for five years. They tried many treatments during that time but ultimately chose surrogacy and welcomed a daughter in 2013.
- Angela Bassett and Courtney B. Vance: The actor couple went through many years of IVF and other fertility treatments before successfully having their twins after turning to surrogacy.
- Courtney Cox and David Arquette: The actor couple struggled to conceive for years and suffered multiple miscarriages. Courtney eventually turned to Western Fertility Institute to have children.
If you are on the journey to have children, know that you are not alone. Even wealthy and famous celebrities sometimes struggle with infertility, just like you. At Western Fertility Institute we assist couples and individuals from all over the world achieve their dreams of parenthood. To get started do not hesitate to make an initial appointment. Our team of professionals will help every step of the way and works tirelessly to help you get the results you wish for.
This content was medically reviewed by the Western Fertility Institute medical team on November 28, 2019.