We know how important it is to click with your gestational carrier. Although we wish every surrogacy situation were perfect — with the parents and intended surrogate having the same goals and preferences — that doesn’t always happen. If an issue has left you feeling unsure about your intended gestational carrier, you may be wondering whether or not you can switch surrogates.
If you’re uncomfortable with your gestational carrier for any reason before embryo implantation, it’s possible to switch. However, you should be aware that switching surrogates puts you back at square one — you’ll need to start the process of finding a surrogate mother all over again.
With Western Fertility Institute by your side, you’ll have help working out the logistics of switching surrogates. We’ll assist you in finding a replacement that meets your needs, and we’ll guide you through this complicated time.
Reasons You May Need to Find a New Surrogate
The surrogacy process is intensely personal. For that reason, there’s no right or wrong when it comes to switching surrogates. You need to do what’s best for your family-building journey. Starting over with a new surrogate can be an incredibly difficult situation to find yourself in. That said, here are a few situations where switching may be the best option:
- There are multiple embryo transfer fails.
- She doesn’t pass her initial medical or psychological screenings.
- You develop irreconcilable differences with your surrogate.
- She becomes pregnant with her own child.
- She experiences a major life change such as relocating or losing her job.
- You have a gut feeling that something feels off about the surrogacy situation.
What to Consider Before Switching to a New Surrogate
If any of the above situations occur and you want to switch surrogates, you may start feeling anxious about your surrogacy journey. Chances are, you already took steps with your intended surrogate, possibly even signing a contract. Take a deep breath, and try to relax. While switching surrogates is a big decision that requires some forethought, it can be done.
Here are some steps you should consider taking before making the switch:
- Attempt talking with your gestational carrier about any disagreements or concerns before switching. Miscommunication is a common issue during the complicated process of surrogacy.
- Check your surrogacy contract to see if the disagreement or concern is addressed within the contract’s details.
- Make sure you have the time needed to find another surrogate and establish a new relationship.
- If you’re sure switching surrogates is the best choice, void your surrogacy contract with your former gestational carrier officially before attempting to find a new surrogate.
We Can Help You Switch Surrogates
Working with a surrogacy specialist is the best way to ensure you have a positive relationship with your intended surrogate. At Western Fertility Institute, we’re here to help you find the right gestational carrier to help you in your journey to parenthood.
Plus, whether huge roadblocks or small disagreements occur, if you wish to switch surrogates, we’ll be with you every step of the way to make sure you find the right fit. We’ll always be on hand, playing a key role in mediating conversations with your surrogate when situations arise.
If you’re ready to begin the surrogacy process or would like more information about our other family building options, contact us today.