FAQ for Surrogates
How to Become a Surrogate Mother
Becoming a surrogate mother is a beautiful, rewarding experience, providing you with the incredible opportunity of helping another couple begin their family. At Western Fertility Institute, we understand the vast number of questions that come when considering surrogacy, which is why we’re here to answer them as well as provide the support you and your intended family may need throughout this extraordinary, heart-warming journey.
What Are the Requirements for Becoming a Surrogate Mother?
Ensuring your health as well as the health of your intended family’s baby is of considerable value to us. That’s why we have some health and lifestyle pre-requisites to becoming a surrogate mother. By meeting these requirements, your pregnancy tends to be easier and safer, which often leads to a stress-free and smooth pregnancy, as well as delivery.
Our requirements for surrogacy at Western Facility Institute include:
- Age 21 to 44 years old
- History of successful pregnancy and delivery
- Healthy lifestyle and Body Mass Index (BMI), below 33
- Stable living arrangement
- Support network
- Resident of surrogate-friendly state in the U.S.
States that are not considered surrogate-friendly include:
- New York
- New Jersey
As with any healthy pregnancy, we require surrogate mothers to refrain from tobacco, alcohol and drug use. If you are married or partnered, it’s also vital to have the support of your significant other, as surrogacy is a journey you will both take together. For many families that have become surrogates, the experience is rewarding and leaves your family stronger.
What Are the Steps to Becoming a Surrogate Mother?
Becoming a surrogate mother is an experience that lasts a lifetime, as your decision to help a family is something that will stay with you, as well as them, forever.
It all starts with the following steps:
- Contact: At Western Fertility Institute, we begin with a simple greeting — hello! One of our team members, such as Caitlin, will talk with you and learn about you. From your medical history and our surrogacy process to your favorite movies and foods, we start a conversation. For each of us, it’s an opportunity to see if surrogacy is a viable option and also the right choice.
- Consultation: The next step in becoming a surrogate mother is a phone consultation if you are out of the area or a face-to-face meeting if you are in town. We invite you to our office in Los Angeles, CA, where you’ll meet Dr. Ashim Kumar — one of the best reproductive doctors in the U.S. — who will review your medical history once more to ensure you’re a viable candidate for surrogacy.
- Complete Surrogate Profile – Afterward, we ask you to complete some required paperwork to receive your legal clearance.
- Match: Our caring team will then coordinate with our intended families, who make the final decision on their surrogate. After this step, we’ll contact you. Your coordinator nurse will help you schedule a transfer appointment, as well as provide you with medications, such as estrogen and progesterone hormones, which boost a transfer’s success rate.
- Transfer: On the day of your scheduled transfer, you’ll meet with Dr. Kumar again. He’ll perform the procedure, and then we all look forward to confirming the pregnancy! Throughout this process of becoming a surrogate mother, you can expect Western Fertility Institute to be there for you and answer all your questions as you go on this amazing journey.
- OBGYN Visits: Our institute works with you up until 10-12 weeks of pregnancy.
While durations do vary for this experience, many surrogate mothers visit our offices six times before continuing their care with their obstetrician-gynecologist (OB-GYN).
Becoming a Surrogate
Becoming a surrogate for a family in need is both rewarding for you and the family. We take pride in providing an exceptional experience for both our surrogates and our families, and our surrogates are greatly compensated for their assistance. If you are interested in becoming a surrogate but have some questions, the above video can help put your mind at ease. Ready to take the next step? Give us a call or reach out via the form below!