Surrogacy, the process
Western Fertility Institute is actively involved in every step of the process of finding the best agencies to help you locate a surrogate. Our goal is to make the process as easy as possible. We believe that surrogate mothers provide an amazing gift for couples and individuals experiencing infertility – making someone’s dream of having a family a reality. We are your guide in this process.
There are a few steps to the process of being matched with a surrogate, below is just a general outline of what to expect.
Meet with the physician for an initial consultation to review options, including the detailed process of matching with you with a surrogate, legal implications, insurance details, surrogacy costs, and basic medical information
After your initial consultation, if a surrogate has been chosen we will schedule a consultation to confirm her viability as a surrogate. It is our job to assess the reproductive viability and potential of the surrogate to help you choose a viable candidate. We also believe in nurturing the surrogate during the fertility treatment. In addition, we can be your liaison with the surrogacy agencies in helping identify a suitable candidate.
Western Fertility Institute or your agency will help you find a fertility attorney. Your attorney will coordinate the finalization of all legal documentation and contracts
Pregnancy & Delivery!
Your attorney will ensure that your journey ends with the required documentation for your home state or country. Domestic parents may be able to travel home within a day or two of the release from the hospital. International parents may be able to travel home after remaining in the state approximately two to four weeks after the child is discharged from the hospital.
We understand the process of Surrogacy can be emotionally challenging for everyone involved. The dedicated staff at Western Fertility Institute along with your agency are here to help guide you after the delivery while you are waiting to take baby home – we are here each step of the way.
Below are a few of the additional services Western Fertility Institute offers its patients, (if you are not represented by an agency) for an additional cost:
We are here to assist with obtaining birth certificates paperwork to help expedite your return home
We can help locate hotel and lodging accommodations while waiting to take baby home during the finalization of the surrogacy agreement
We are also available to help locate a qualified and suitable nanny to help take care of your baby
Whatever you need to help make this process easier and less overwhelming, we are here to provide you with the tools needed to have a clear path to follow so that you have the confidence that your needs and concerns are being met each and every step of the way.
Should you have any questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact us anytime.
How to Find a Surrogate Mother
A worry many soon-to-be parents have about surrogacy is how to find a surrogate mother. We understand, which is why we provide an all-inclusive experience that eliminates the hassle and worry of coordinating with various agencies to find a surrogate mother. Instead, you and your partner can focus on browsing viable surrogates from the trusted agency we partner with, LA Egg Donors and Surrogacy.
The Step-By-Step Surrogacy Process
At Western Fertility Institute, we understand the range of emotions that come with surrogacy, from finding a surrogate mother to awaiting the arrival of your baby. That’s why we’re passionate about making the steps in the surrogacy process as seamless as possible. Then, when your baby girl or boy arrives, you’re able to live in the moment.
As noted above, there are around four general steps in surrogacy, which we’ll discuss in-depth and expand on below:
- Review your role in the surrogacy process: For our family at Western Fertility Institute, it’s vital that every couple understands the surrogacy process step-by-step, as well as its financial commitment, before choosing it. That way, you and your partner can consider every aspect at your leisure before deciding if it’s the right option. If you ever have any questions, whether before or after your consultation, we’re always here to answer them.
- Create your surrogacy plan: If you do decide that surrogacy is your next step, we are here for you every step of the way — beginning with your surrogacy plan. This plan includes all your preferences, from your need for an egg or sperm donor to your preferred traits in a surrogate mother. As we help you find a surrogate mother, we keep your preferences close to our heart when meeting candidates.
- Choose your surrogate mother: For many couples, the process of finding a surrogate mother is one of the most challenging surrogacy steps. We’re here, though. Through our inclusive process, we screen every applicant and ensure she meets our requirements for surrogate mothers as well as your preferences. To help you make your decision, we’ll often offer video interviews with viable candidates and, of course, the opportunity to meet them.
- Finalize your legal documentation: After taking the exciting step of choosing your surrogate mother, we’ll help you select a fertility attorney. They’ll deliver the same compassionate care as our staff, and they will provide you and your surrogate mother with the necessary legal documentation and contracts to move forward with the surrogacy process.
- Prepare your baby room: For many families, the best part of the surrogacy process is preparing to welcome your newborn home, following the successful transfer of your embryo. During this stage, your surrogate mother will also begin receiving her payments and provide you and your partner with updates on the pregnancy, and maybe meet with you again, depending on your preferences.
- Bring your baby home: As you near your surrogate mother’s due date, our team will coordinate with you. If you’re flying in from another country, for example, we can prepare all the necessary documentation, including birth certificates and passports, to ensure your trip home is carefree. Should anything prevent you and your partner from being at the hospital, our coordinator will care for your little one until you arrive.
Parenthood is one of the most exciting experiences, and we’re thrilled to be alongside you throughout it.
The Donor and Surrogacy Steps for Same-Sex Couples
At Western Fertility Institute, we’re honored to help same-sex couples achieve their dreams of starting a family. While many of the surrogacy steps are similar for same-sex couples, there are a few additions to the process. For instance, you and your partner will need to decide who will donate their egg or sperm, as well as if either of you — if a same-sex female couple — would like to carry the pregnancy.
To speak with a team member about the surrogacy process or for information on becoming a surrogate, please contact our office at 1-888-261-4574.