How to Find a Surrogate Mother – 3 Step Process
For some intended parents, surrogacy is your best option to have a child of your own. A gestational carrier, more commonly referred to as a surrogate mother, is the woman who will carry your child for nine months and give birth to your little miracle.
Finding the best surrogate for your family can be challenging. You can work with an agency, locate a surrogate independently or work with someone you know, like a friend or family member. Whatever path you choose, it’s important to be prepared for all the obstacles you may face along the way.
Here’s three steps to expect during the process of finding a surrogate mother.
1. Build Your Surrogacy Plan
As you begin the surrogacy process, it’s important to take stock of what’s important to you, and determine your hopes, goals and preferences for the experience. When you work with an agency, you’ll complete an intended parent profile and an in-home assessment. The agency will be there every step of the way to guide you through the process and ensure you’re ready for each new exciting step.
Without the assistance of an agency, many of the responsibilities will be on your shoulders. Some of the steps you’ll need to consider to build your surrogacy plan include:
- Your budget
- Your need for an egg or sperm donor
- Preferred traits in a surrogate mother
- Your desired involvement and contact throughout the pregnancy
- Finding and screening potential surrogates
- Locating a fertility lawyer to complete the legal work
- Coordinating with a fertility clinic to perform the necessary medical procedures
2. How to Find a Surrogate Match
An agency can assist you in finding the best surrogate mother for your family. They offer prospective surrogate profiles and help you find candidates whose goals match yours. Then, the agency approaches the surrogate with your profile to see if she reciprocates interest. Once the match is made, you’ll have a chance to get to know each other to ensure it’s the right fit. You’ll also be able to discuss the surrogacy process in detail.
If you’re not using an agency to match and screen surrogates, you’ll need to locate prospective surrogate mothers on your own. You may already know the woman you intend to use as your surrogate. If not, there are other methods of finding a viable candidate:
- Surrogate finder websites
- Attorney referrals
- Online and print ads
- Social networks
3. Finalize All Legal Documentation
With the help of a fertility attorney, you and your surrogate mother will work out the necessary legal documentation and contracts before moving forward with the surrogacy process. This important step will lay out:
- Your surrogate’s compensation
- Her basic responsibilities throughout the pregnancy
- Social agreements such as your presence at prenatal appointments and at the birth
- Filing a pre-birth order establishing you as your baby’s legal parent
Benefits of Using a Surrogacy Agency Like Western Fertility Institute
At Western Fertility Institute, we make the process of finding the right surrogate mother as seamless as possible. You can enjoy the journey without having to bear the weight of all the responsibilities.
Our highly qualified surrogacy team at Western Fertility Institute takes care of the logistics, including:
- Help you create a surrogacy plan and match you with viable candidates who share your criteria and goals
- Screen surrogates thoroughly to ensure they meet our requirements and your preferences
- Eliminate the hassle of finding a surrogate mother on your own
- Assist you in selecting a fertility attorney
- Offer a variety of other surrogacy services, including the education and support you’ll need throughout this experience
If you’re ready to begin this life-changing adventure, we invite you to contact Western Fertility Institute today. One of our compassionate team members would be happy to discuss third-party reproduction and gestational surrogacy options with you.
This content was medically reviewed by the Western Fertility Institute medical team on September 23, 2019.